There are hundreds of websites re the migration experience and genealogy. Following are selected links as well as a recommendation to use Find your Roots in Germany and German Originality for additional resources and information.
- The German branch of Ancestry.com; excellent resources and a growing collection of relevant German genealogical material. Some databases free, others require subscription fees. In German.
- Ancestry USA
- Excellent and worldwide largest database for historical-biographical information, essential for genealogical research, more and more German content.
- German National Tourist Office
- The German National Tourist Office has managed the website www.germanoriginality.com , which help travellers finding their roots and present German American history with a variety and wealth of information.
- Ballinstadt, Hamburg
- This exhibition and museum in Hamburg tells the story of the passengers of the Hamburg America Line, named after the HAPAGs managing director Albert Ballin.
- German Emigration Center, Bremerhaven
- The German Emigration Center in Bremerhaven opened to the public in 2006, an award winning institution depicting the migration experience in Bremerhaven.
- Hapag Terminal Cuxhaven
- From 1889 the Hamburg-Amerika-Line (HAPAG) dispached their steamboats in Cuxhaven. In 1902 Hapag terminal and the historical ensemble of the Steubenhöft houses an exhibit.
Research and Travel Tools: “Find your Roots in Germany”
“Find your Roots in Germany” provides access to research tools, databases, regional documentation and tourist information and is designed to be helpful both for the genealogical researcher and the traveller to germany. Arranged in cooperation with the The German Nat. Tourist Office and the German Information Center in New York.